Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Completed Cycle 1!

I finished my 12 week cycle for kettlebell from BreakingMuscle.com.  I enjoyed the program, and the 2x's a week was just was I was looking for.  I also ran 20 miles last week.  I did 2 days of 5 miles and then a 10 mile run on Sunday. The run felt great.  I watched the Olympics Women's Speed Skating while I ran on my treadmill, which was a really enjoyable way to spend 2 hrs.

This week I'm taking off from kettlebell.  My plan is to do yoga instead.  Next week it will be back to kettlebell. Now I'm trying to decide if I should move on to cycle 2 for kettlebell or if I should try Lauren Brooks' Week to Strong Woman workout.  I don't want to give up running.  I just enjoy it.  I feel so good when I run, and my body seems happier when I run.  So the question is, can I do a more intense strength program and still run?  I'm leaning towards trying.  I can cut the running a bit, but maybe still run 2 miles a day, 6 days a week. On kettlebell days I would just run 2 miles first.  Lauren's programs keep the time commitment short.  The routines in the program would only take about 20 minutes not counting warm up or cool down.  If I ran as a warm up for 20 minutes (or 22), then did 20 minutes of kettlebell, it would still be less overall time then my 5 mile runs.  The squats are the concern, but I can not push the weight, even though I don't think I'm anywhere close to squatting too heavy for runner.

I'm always torn between strength and running.  I enjoy them both.  I want to get stronger, but I want to run.  But as I'm watching the Olympics I'm thinking that I can push myself a bit more in both running and strength and it would be ok.  :)


Running

No comments:

Post a Comment