Saturday, September 14, 2013

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

It's been a crazy month.

In the past 6 weeks we have been working on redoing sections of our house.  I painted what is now the family room (it was the kids' playroom), as well as the front entrance/room (which involved moving a piano and large cabinet computer desk).  Cleaned out and reorganized 2 storage spaces, steam cleaned all of the downstairs carpets, had a room added to the back of our house (it used to be a covered back porch.  We didn't do it ourselves). Re-arrange the boys sleeping quarters (we had 3 boys in 1 room, now oldest boy is in new room, the other 2 had their room redone). Tomorrow I plan on steam cleaning the upstairs hall and steps (I did the boys room yesterday after changing all of the bedding around).

We also started back to school, we homeschool, so that means I'm busy teaching 4 kids.

My workouts had been going well.  I was doing a 45 minute kettlebell workout 2x a week, running 3x's a week (about 16 miles a week) and yoga once a week.  Then last week my back got injured during kettlebell.  I strained a muscle in my back.  I couldn't run (or walk much), I couldn't do yoga, and of course, no kettlebell.  This put me at a crossroads.  I've been thinking maybe I'm trying to do to much?  Maybe I should have just stuck with yoga? (I do love yoga). I don't know.  I know a week of no exercise has driven me crazy.  Exercise is my therapy.  It's my time.  Without it I start to get depressed.


Last night, for the first time in a week, I was able to do a simple 30 minute yoga routine.  It was bliss.  This morning, I ran 3 miles then spent 30 minutes doing yoga.  Wonderful.  I plan on either doing yoga or running for the next week.  Then I may add some body weight exercises, like squats, lunges, and push-ups, after my runs.  If they go well I will try to add kettlebell back.  I enjoy kettlebell.  I enjoy the rush I get from lifting heavy weight, and from swinging that 44lb bell. I can't decide if I will go back to having dedicated kettlebell days or if I will add some kettlebell onto my running days.  I would have to plan carefully.  I could do short kettlebell routines in the afternoon.  I may go for that.  I also need to decide if I want to buy new DVDs or just stick to the routines I have.  I own 2 of Lauren Brooks' DVDs as well as her book and BeSlam.  I have plenty to work with.  But her new DVD or even her Lightning one would be nice.  I could just throw it on in the afternoon and not have to think about what to do.

I also want to get back to blogging.  I keep trying to get into this, but it's hard.  I'm very busy, and I know most people are, but I haven't found a way to carve out time to write.  But writing helps me think.  And I need somewhere get all of these thoughts outs.  So, I'll be trying to write at least once a week, if not more, as well as getting back into reading blogs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment