Monday, March 11, 2013

I had a great morning run.  Since I've only been running 2x a week, my runs have felt more difficult.  I'm trying not to let that discourage me, but it's hard.  Today I stopped every 10 minutes to go do negative chin-ups.  I did 5 sets, doing 6, 5, 5, 4, 3.  It felt good.

I followed my run with a Tabata workout of swings.  I did one arm swings, then 2 handed swing, followed by an overhead swing.  I used my 12 kg bell.  I may need to drop down to my 15 lb bell for 1 arm swings. The top of my right shoulder is tender (not in a good way), and I'm having issues with my left shoulder blade.  The swings did not hurt the shoulder blade, but I'm worried that it could be causing the problem (of my shoulder blade "popping" out while doing suitcase deadlifts).  I know I am pushing myself hard.  It's always difficult to find the balance between pushing yourself in a good way, and going too far.

Eating has been something else I need to watch more closely.  I don't follow any sort of special diet.  I just try to watch what I eat and watch my portions.  But I've also been indulging in sweets a lot lately.  I had icecream last night, with all the toppings too.  I'm not trying to lose weight, but I would like to eat as healthy as I can as I work on building muscle and cutting down some fluff. I want to "tone", as they say, and that will not happen when I'm eating icecream sundaes for dessert.

Tomorrow is a kettlebell day.  I'm looking forward to the squats!  I feel like I've not been "working" hard enough, which is why I kept pushing myself with the heavier bell.  The first month did not feel like traditional kettlebell workouts.  The second month looks more like what I expected to be doing.

I'm also going to meet with a trainer this Saturday.  There is only 1 that I could find in the city.  He doesn't even work at a gym or have a place.  Since I live far from the city I'm going to his place, and hauling 3 of my kids with me.  I look forward to having someone check my form.  I want to focus on the top 3 moves, which are the swing, squat, and TGU.  If he could check my cleans, that would be good too.  It's a lot to do in an hour.  If it goes well I want to try and meet with him every 2 months.  The city is over an hour a way, so I think it's the most I could do.  But I would like to work with a trainer for this.  Too bad he doesn't have a gym yet.  If he doesn't work out, I guess I'm on my own. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment