Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Slowly Recovering and I Hate the Time Change

This past weekend the pressure finally let up on my ears and I could run.  I had a nice run Sunday morning, just six miles, and it felt good.  But I'm hating the time change.  We had just got to the time of year when the sun rose at 7:00 AM, now it's dark till 8:00.  I know most people prefer the light in the evening, but I like to run in daylight.  So Sunday, I was back on my treadmill.  The issue I had with a dog last Sunday was on my mind, and I didn't want to encounter anything in the dark.

Monday was my rest day, and I needed it.  I'm not completely better from this cold.  Sunday's run wore me out and I needed the rest on Monday.

Tuesday was kettlebell day.  I ran for a mile, then proceeded to do 3 rounds of 5 single-leg deadlifts, 10 each side push-presses, and 30 second planks.  Then I did 2 rounds of 10 each side lunges, 10 squats with bicep curls and triceps extensions, and 10 jump squats.  I finished off with 3 round of pull over crunches.  I also did my 50 pull-ups/push-ups and 300 kettlebell swings.  I was thinking of trying to add 300 swings a day, everyday except my rest day.  I think it would go a long way to helping me strengthen my core, which is my primary goal this year.

Today I ran 5 miles, plus did my 300 kettlebell swings.  Last week I read Murakami's book, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, and now I'm thinking about doing a Half marathon in the fall.  It even maybe me think about a marathon, but I'll see how the half goes.  I've done 3 Half marathons, but it's been a while since I've run that much.  I've mostly focused on strength.  But I think I may be ready to focus on running, dialing down the kettlebell work for just a bit.  That wouldn't happen till late summer, so I still have time to work on strength.

And that brings me to my happy thing for the day.  I was able to kick up into a headstand today.  I kicked up with my sneakers on when I was done stretching after my run.  It felt so good.  I felt strong; no pressure on my head, my arms and shoulders held me fine.  I'll admit I felt proud.  I've never done that in my life.  I couldn't do that kind of thing as a kid, and at 44 I did it.

Tomorrow is more running and kettlebell swings.

No comments:

Post a Comment