Friday, March 21, 2014

Turkish Get-ups!

Today's workout was TGU themed.

It looked like this:

3x3 TGU
3x10 swings

3x2 TGU
3x20 swings

3x1 TGU
3x30 swings

Looking at that I knew that it should have been progressive; doing a lighter bell, medium bell, then heaviest.  I could have done that. I could have done the first grouping with my 15lb, then 2nd grouping with my 20lb, then last group with my 26lb (12kg).  But I didn't do that.  I decided to do them all with my 12kg bell.  That meant 18, per side, TGUs with 12kg.  I was a strong workout.  I also added to each grouping.  I've been working on pull-ups and push-ups so I added 3x5 of each for each group; giving me 45 of each by the end.

I also noticed, when I got to the end, that I was 20 swings short of 200, so I added 20 swings and another round of push-ups/pull-ups.

When I finished the second grouping I starting thinking maybe I could try to do a half get-up with my 16kg bell.  I did try, but I was unable, but I will continue to try.

Which brings me to my kettlebell workout earlier this week. I decided to not do the scheduled workout, and try out one I saw on Breaking Muscle by Pat Flynn.  It was called 2-1-3, where you did 2 cleans, 1 press, then 3 in the rack squats.  He also suggested combining it with swings for his 300 swing workout challenge.  So I decided to go for it.  I wrote my own workout.  It went like this:

5x5 deadlifts
5x20 swings

5x2-1-3 (both sides)
5x20 swings

5x 10 pull-ups (these I do assisted with a green band)
5x10 push-ups (which I do on an incline, aka, my bathtub)
5x20 swings.

The workout was intense, in fact, it was way to hard.  I think that was because I pushed the weight with the deadlifts.  I used my 20kg and 16kg bell.  My back was sore for 2 days.  But the best part about the workout

I pressed 16kg!!!!!

I had never done that.  I was swinging the 16kg, and decided since it was a single press it should be maxed, so I went for it.  It was hard, but I managed it.  My arms felt it the next day.  The squats also were good.  I don't normally squat that weight.  I know I can, I just avoid it so that I don't interfere with my running. But my run the next day (5 miles) felt great, and so did Thursday's run.  I may start upping my squat weight.

But overall, it's been a good kettlebell week.  And even though Tuesday I did my own thing, I'm happy with the Breaking Muscle plan.  It's been working for me.

Today, I'm going on a short hike with my kids.  The weather is perfect spring weather, and it should be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment